This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Stocking My World

The little office tank will be ready for creatures soon.

Actually, it already has critters in it. I have added tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of critters. Maybe even millions. People who come into my office to see the tank always ask "so, what is in it?". I tell them that they have to look VERY closely to see what I put in the tank. So they look. They get very close, put on glasses, and so forth.

Then after they just can not see anything other than plants - I break the news to them. All I have added are bacteria. I have a bottle of bacteria. I put a dose of bacteria in every day. Indeed, you would have to look VERY close to see them. The longer they stare, the funnier it is. For me.

But the bacteria are very important. I did not have to buy the bacteria, but without the bottle of bugs the tank would take longer to cycle. Once the ammonia level drops, the nitrite level builds then drops, the tank will be ready for fish.

So far, I have not decided exactly what fish I will have. But I am leaning towards this fish.


This is a cardinal tetra. They come from South America. They like soft acidic water. My little creation has fairly soft water, with a slightly acidic pH. Perfect for this fish. I was thinking of getting 5 or so of them, because in nature these fish like to school.


I also like kuhli loaches. These eel like fish are from asia, and they like to hang out on the bottom of lakes and rivers. They are scavengers. They are also mostly nocturnal and like to have places to hide. But when they are out - they are active. Here is what one looks like.


But I have to be careful to NOT overcrowd the tank. One of the reason a fish tank can fail is overcrowding. The general rule of thumb is one inch of fish per gallon of water, but with the bio wheel I can cheat a little.

One thing is set in stone. I WILL have freshwater glass shrimp. These small invertabrates do not really count as fish, so they do not factor in the overcrowding equation - to a point. I could not keep 50 of them, but three or four should be OK.


Now, if those lazy good for nothing bacteria would just get off their cell membranes and get my ammonia level to zero I could start stocking!

6 Comments:

Blogger Econo-Girl said...

Iggy,

No wonder all my attempts at keeping fish failed! It had no idea that it took so much thinking. But then I wasn't going for the exotic varieties.

Econo-Girl

04:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great comments and insights..By the way, are you looking for more information on Roofing Metal ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to loan matters and Roofing Metal with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...1stplaceroofing.com

19:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my accommodation aviemore site.
Have a good day!

20:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my used videogames site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

19:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my used yamaha dirt bikes site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

23:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my urethra play site.
Good luck!

20:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home