This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Cooking With Lazy Iguana

This is a great story.

Today I decide to go to the supermarket to buy some food. I get there only to find that ALL the dairy products are pretty much gone, along with all the meat. There was no yogurt, no butter, no cheese, no frozen foods, very little produce, and so on. They had to throw it all out because of the lack of power thing. The supermarket must have stank something terrible when they opened it up.
My master plan was to buy some iguana food for Spaz, and some hamburger helper for me. But there is no hamburger. So I had to settle for tuna helper.

Spaz will be eating bananas, yellow squash, and zuchini tomorrow. There were no collard greens.

Anyway, I score a 1/2 gallon of milk (the ONLY dairy product on the shelf) and a couple of boxes of tuna helper. I get home and start to read the directions. I had a stick of butter, so no problem there. I just bought milk, no problem there. I have 4 cans of tuna, so that is under control. And I have water. I have everything for a feast of epic proportions.

But then I get lazy. Apparently, you have to boil some stuff , transfer it to another container, then bake it. That means getting two pots dirty. This is NOT acceptible.

So I find a nice Pyrex dish that will hold all the slop. Then I place the Pyrex dish on the stove top, and add the milk and butter. Then I turn in the heat. I figure I will just cook the slop on the stovetop, then toss the whole mess into the oven.

Next I open up two cans o tuna (twice the amount called for) and add the water. Then I add the sauce mix. Then I go to stir all the mess.

The dish then EXPLODES. Instantly. No ticking or anything. Just shards of Pyrex, and a huge mess on the stove. The milk burns onto the hot smoothtop eye, and the cats all come running because they can smell tuna frying.

2 cups of milk, plus 1.5 cups of water, 2 cans o tuna, 3 tablespoons of butter, and a packet o cheese sauce. All over the place. Dripping and running and splashed on the friggin wall. Meanwhile, I am standing there with a fork trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

On the positive side, my gin and tonic survived. No icky tuna helper got into it.

So now I am out one tuna helper kit, 1/2 of my cans o tuna, one pyrex BAKING dish (apparently you can not place it on the stovetop), and most of my butter.

Good thing I bought two boxes o tuna helper! Time to start over.

6 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

You are going to have to change the name of your blog. How 'bout the Dumb Iguana? Or a Bloggin' Idiot? Boy, you cannot put those things on the stove top. It says that on the bottom of the dish.

On the other hand, you did live up to the lazy name. So I guess it's okay.

Funny story. Question: When it happened, how fast did you think, "At least I can blog about it?"

11:41  
Blogger Lissette said...

LI, you did it again. You made me laugh so hard picturing 1) the thing exploding and you freaking out 2) Your cats sitting there by you because of the tuna.

12:13  
Blogger GodlessMom said...

Here lies Lazy Iguana...He survived the hurricane only to be done in by a renegade Pyrex dish.

Thanks for the laugh!

12:25  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Who reads the bottom of a dish? You would have to turn it over or something first. That requires effort.

For that matter, why even make a dish that can not be placed on a stovetop? Really now. Why? There HAS TO be some material that you can place anywhere without it exploding and making a horrible mess.

I posted the story while waiting for the eye to cool down to the point where I could scrape the burnt on goop without getting a blister. There might have still been loose shards of Pyrex around.

12:33  
Blogger Lila said...

Geez. I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

I'm so lazy, I just eat tuna right out of the can. Really.

23:08  
Blogger Econo-Girl said...

Iggy,

Next time get squash and carrots, slice into small pieces, put in oven-proof dish, in oven pre-heated to 375. Pour a little olive oil on it. Leave it there for 35 minutes.

It's a good and economical snack.

Sorry guys, I'm a bit obsessed with Martha Stewart.

15:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home