This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Valley Of The Sharks Adventure

Today, on my Sunday (see the last post about my crazy weekends and how Friday can be Monday) I decided to visit Shark Valley, which is part of Everglades National Park.

Shark Valley is located on the northern border of the national park. It is close enough to Miami to drive to in less than an hour, yet far enough out in the swamp that no trace of the city can be seen. There is no overnight camping in Shark Valley, but there is a 15 mile road open to foot traffic, bicycles, and the park tram. About halfway down the tram road is an obversation tower that offers a stunning view of the swamp.

Everglades National Park is 1.5 MILLION acres of what is left of the Everglades. As large as this park is, it is only a fraction of what used to be the everglades. At one time, half the state of Floirda was part of the everglades. In addition to this national park, there is also Big Cypress Park (administered by the State of Florida), land designated as a watershed by the South Floirda Water Management District (the water management people are finally trying to use their land to restore the swamp, it seems they realize that no everglades means no drinking water), and land graciously given to the Miccosukkee Indian Tribe by pale face.

Shark Valley used to be owned by Shell Oil Company. The company built some of the paved road that the tram uses today. Shell was looking for oil, and unlike President Bush's oil companies they found some. But the everglades oil was loaded with sulfur, and at the time there was no way to seperate the oil from the sulfur. So they declared the land worthless. The company gave the land to the National Park when they were done. The park service added to the road, forming the loop.

You will see TONS of critters in the area. There are birds, tutles, snakes (you have to look carefully for the snakes, they are good at finding places to hide) and of course alligators. If you want to see alligators, Shark Valley is the place to go.

I went there to ride the tram road on my bicycle. I did pretty good! Here are my numbers.

Max speed - 16.6 mph
Moving time - 1 hr 15 min
Total time - 1 hr 27 min
Distance - 14.77 miles
Moving avg speed - 11.7 mph

I was going into a head wind for half the ride. Most of my stopped time was spent on the observation tower. The first half of the ride I finished in 30 minutes, for an avg speed of close to 14 mph.

I attribute some of this to the new tires I got. My old tires were 2.2 inch knobby tires. The new tires are 1.9 inch hybrid tires. The center part of the tire is a slick, with knobs on the outer edge. Properly inflated, the bike rides on the slick center part of the tire, which gives the tires even lower rolling resistance. The tires also have less road noise than the knobby dirt trail tires had.

I could not fit my digital camera into anything, so I did not bring it along. All I had was a small saddle bag, which was way to small for my camera. All the saddle bag could hold was a spare tube, a tube patch kit, a pocket knife, and a pressure guage.

I plan to go back to Shark Valley next week. I went out and bought a cool bag that snaps onto my cargo rack, so now I have a bag large enough to pack the camera, all the stuff I had today, and still have some space left over. I will have photos to post on this site. My camera has a mode where it will shoot fairly high resolution photos in a 16:9 aspect ratio - PERFECT for capturing the view from the observation tower. There will also be many alligator photos.

What there will NOT be any photos of are sharks OR any valley. None of these things are even in Shark Valley. Go figure.

10 Comments:

Blogger mal said...

if you have 700C rims and do not ride anything looser than crushed limestone, I would encourage you to look at touring tires with a 32C footprint. (continental 3000's are the standard) It will reduce your rolling resistance considerably more and is still wide enough for a good stable ride. If you are on 26" rims, Fat Boys are good alternative for similar results. If you do not, check your tire pressure before EVERY ride. Riding every other day, mine lose 10-15lbs within 3 days

A good place to find accessories like bags, computers, gloves, saddles etc is www.nashbar.com

Enjoy, I miss riding this time of year *S*

17:35  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I have 26 inch rims on a Specialized Hard Rock Sport bike with disk brakes. The narrowest tire I can find that still fits the rim is a 26x1.5

What I have now is a set of 26x1.9 tires. The tires are a cross in a road and trail tire, the center of the tire is a slick with knobs on the outer edge. The bike rides on the slick part.

Ill put up some photos of the tires.

23:11  
Blogger mal said...

I am familiar with the tire you described. A good rule of thumb to follow? If you can hear or feel your tire, then it may be too agressive and you are burning a of energy pushing it.

This tire (http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=121&subcategory=1084&sku=1629&brand=) is similar to what I ride if I have my bike set up to tour. The pattern is a bit more agressive but not bad. My nephew went thru the same exercise recently and he is much happier on a full road tire.

Just my 2 cents worth, I hope I am not annoying you with unsolicited advice *S*

23:24  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Naaaa. Advice is always good. I am already conserding a set of 1.5 slicks.

Or, I can get new 26 inch road bike rims. These will hold narrower tires. But then I might need to ditch the disk brakes and convert to center pull brakes.

But if I am going to go through all that mess, the best thing would be to just buy a road bike. You can only go so far converting a MTB into something it was never intended to be.

But for now, I like what I have. I got rid of the knobby tires, and got something more suited to road use. The tires give a fairly smooth ride, with little if any road noise that I can hear. The tires are still wide enough to provide a comfortable ride, just not too wide that it is hard to push them.

And my MTB frame allows me to not have to ride all hunched over. I have a cool seat post rear rack, with a very cool cargo bag that fits on it. The frame is still light enough that I do not have to kill myself on a ride, even with all the stuff I attach to the bike.

02:14  
Blogger mal said...

you are right. You bought a good bike, but it probably is not worth doing major modifications for what would be small performance gains.

Hold that thought on road bikes! *L* I ride a road bike, albeit a touring configuration. As you put on miles you will begin to understand some of the benefits of drop and aero bars. You are also correct, if you were to push towards a road configuration, you would be better off with a new ride entirely.

I started riding seriously in 91 for health reasons. It has become a hobby I enjoy a great deal. I hope you do too

10:33  
Blogger The Devil Uno said...

I know less than nothing about riding bikes, but im totaly bummed you didnt bring the camera. See my blog for the harsh canadian winter, any chance to see florida would make me dizzy with heartache. How can I get a working visa? Can I immigrate?

14:32  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I have been to shark valley. It is a very unique place.

Sounds like you bought a nice road bike and I hope ou enjoy it.

Have a good weekend.

15:12  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Devil Uno, hold off on immigrating for now. Feel free to visit, but keep that Canadian passport handy. When the military takes over because the president declares martiaL law, you might have to stuff me into an oversize bag and smuggle me to Canada.

20:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my used videogames site.
Good luck!

05:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a used pocket bikes site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

10:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home