This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

USCG Eagle

Yet another opportunity lies in my path.

A few months ago I submitted my security application to join the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary. My approval should be in soon.

The Auxiliary is a civilian volunteer branch of the Coast Guard. The Auxiliary does stuff like public education (boating safety classes), vessel safety examinations, patrols, and can even fill in for enlisted Coasties doing stuff like radio watchstanding. The only missions that auxiliary members can not do are law enforcement or military missions. Every other mission is fair game.

And of course, being a civilian and a volunteer, I only get "orders" that I accept - as opposed to just getting orders and having to follow them. The orders are only a fomality, as if I am asked to do something I can always say "You know what? I do not want to do that. I am going off for a beer now". When you are enlisted you can not do this.

So today at my flotilla meeting one of the guys brought up the US Coast Guard Cutter Eagle. This is a picture of the Eagle.


The Eagle is a training ship, and the ambassador ship of the fleet. The USCGC Eagle (ex Horst Wessel) is a three masted barque serving as a school ship for the United States Coast Guard. Home ported at the United States Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut, she is one of the sister ships of the Gorch Fock.

The ship was built in 1936 in Germany. During WWII it was used as a cargo ship in the Baltic Sea. After the war it was sailed to the USA because we won WWII - and when you win a war you get to take stuff. The Coast Guard was given the ship, and it is still in use today.

The ship is used as a training ship, and she is one of the last Barques floating.

Here is the cool part. The Coast Guard uses members of the Auxiliary onboard the Eagle to help train Coast Guard Cadets. Once I am crew qualified, I can volunteer for two weeks aboard the Eagle.

Me. Onboard a real Barque! A grand sailing ship, out in the open sea. The two week stint will not really go anywhere, just up the East Coast of the USA. There are longer voyages to Europe, but I would imagine that it would take longer than 2 weeks to cross the Atlantic under sail power.

But hey - if I can rack away enough leave time from work, and they would let my ass be part of the crew that sailed on the Eagle from the USA to England, I would so do this. No thinking about it would be required. I would just get the time off and GO!

I would get a peg leg, and eye patch, a parrot, and a cool hat before I left.

4 Comments:

Blogger dddragon said...

WOW!

Sounds like this is right up your alley. Or canal.

09:08  
Blogger Lissette said...

I saw a ship like that docked by the Coast Guard station on South Beach. I don't know if it was docked on the coast guard side of that island or the other side, but it was cool as shit nonetheless.

10:36  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

You saw The Athena. It is owned by some rich guy. I do not know where the Athena's home port is - but if I had to guess I would say Greece.

13:58  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

WOW, you are fantastically lucky to get a chance at this! I'd jump at it myself!

16:16  

Post a Comment

<< Home