This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Aprender Espanol

My non-credit spanish class starts tomorrow. It is part one of a five step process to learn to speak spanish. In theory anyway.

I have taken spanish classes before, in junior high and senior high school - but I was not really into the whole learning spanish thing. Yea, a lot of people in Miami speak spanish - but so what.

Cuando usted esta en America, usted es supuesto hablar ingles.

In theory, anyway.

So I learned squat in high school spanish class. Well not exactly squat, I did learn some verbs and stuff. Just not very much. Mostly I simply lacked the motivation to learn.

But now the language class is important for my job. I got my job on a technicality - and as a result my classification and my pay scale is not the same as everyone else in the office. To keep doing what I do it is vital to pick up at least one more language.

My quest to learn spanish will take roughly a year and some change. The community college offers spanish 1 - 4, plus another class called "advanced conversation". Since it is all non-credit the classes are cheap. Spanish 1 is only $88. The same class for credit would be at least twice as much, and possibly more. The quality of instruction is about the same - the difference is that you get a grade for the credit class.

After I pick up spanish, I still need one more foreign language. I am thinking about italian. But this is off in the future. It all depends on what happens to my classification at work, and if I can continue to do what I do.

It will be worth it in the end.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Good luck with your classes.

I wouldn't bother learning Italian if you are doing spanish, the two languages are similar enough that you should be able to roughly understand what is being said in Italian.

(show off time)

When I went to Chile I met my then boyfriend there, he is half Italian and is as good as fluent in the language we got about with him speaking Italian and the Chileans talking in spanish and we didn't have any difficulties.
I just pointed at things and said "Bitte"

Go for a very different language German would be good, they do better beers than the Italians as well.

13:32  
Blogger Lila said...

$88??? That's nothing!

Good luck to you. I'm trying to teach myself Spanish now...it will really come in handy for me starting this summer in my internship.

17:42  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

The idea is to know two foreign languages. The point in taking italian classes after I get through spanish is to meet the language requirement with the least amount of effort.

There often is a method to my madness.

17:43  
Blogger Ellen said...

I jumped over here from Saur's blog because I think you are absolutely hilarious. You have the best attitude of any lazy person I've ever "met".
Reading some of your past posts, all I can say is: Keep up the lazy work!

18:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i say portugese so you can communicate with the growing number of brazilians coming over here.

18:49  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Portugese is a messed up language. Brazil should just change its national language to Spanish.

22:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home