This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Friday, June 24, 2005

Transexual co-workers

While doing my daily blog reading, I noticed a comment about strange co-workers. Well, here is my story.

I used to work for an un-named federal agency at the Miami Airport (HINT...my job was to look through your stuff for nail clippers and other bad things). Anyway, the workforce was very mixed!

One dude was named Raquel. I swear I am not making any of this up. The dude insisted that he was in fact a she. His offical government issued name tag even said Raquel. We all called Raquel a "shim".

when I first had to work with shim, I thought "crap that is a fat ugly dude!". Then I noticed the name tag. So I was a bit confused. Can a woman be THAT ugly? Is it possible? Then shim said something to me. It's voice was like Arnold "The Govenerator"s voice - deep. VERY deep. About 3 octaves deeper than my voice. So at that point I had to bite my cheek till it was bleeding to not bust out laughing. I did not want to get fired for "insensitivity". The government is big into that kind of crap.

Anyway, shim would seriously confuse passengers. People would ask shim questions by saying things like "excuse me sir, where is gate 5?" and Raquel would say (in a voice that sounds like Conan The Barbarian) "I am a mam, not a sir. See my name tag? It says Raquel". I SWEAR it would say that all the time. I am a mam, not a sir. It always cracked me up.

Anyway, the poor passenger would always get a confused look on his or her face, like they were expecting someone to jump out of the x-ray machine and say "SMILE! You are on candied camera!". They would not know what to say. After a pause to see exactly what the person was going to do, one of the normal people who worked with me would step in to rescue the poor person.

Sometimes the passenger would flat bust out laughing, and then Raquel would get upset. Other times, the passenger would say something funny or rude right back to shim. These people always made the work day funnier. Either way, one of the normal people would have to step in.

Shim also had a SERIOUS attitude. It would be the first to cry harassment, and it was no secret that shim had a cheeseball lawyer just itching to sue the federal government for some bullshit. So we all had to be very careful what we said to shim, and under no circumstances could we make any jokes at all around it. It was pain in the ass.

Shim would also skip out on some of the things that we had to do, but nobody liked to do. This is HAND WANDING! Everyone hates this. The agency has a very strict policy about using the hand held metal detector, and that is men wand men, women wand women. This policy is set firmly in stone.

So who did shim wand? NOBODY! Technicaly, it was a female. But in reality it was a dude. So according to policy it could not wand men because it was (on paper) a woman. But it still had a goober, so it was a man and could not wand women. It was always a pain in the ass for the others who had to work in the same land as shim.

Then there was the time that shim used the WOMEN'S bathroom at the airport, IN UNIFORM. Of course, the other women bolted and told the cops that a pervert wearing the same uniform as me (and everyone else) was in the ladies room, standing up to pee. So the cops went in and found Raquel. They brought Raquel back to the checkpoint to report shim to the supervisor before arresting it. Well, shim protested that it was in fact a woman. The cops were not buying it. They did not have to be nice to shim like we did. The supervisor explained the situation to the cops. In the end the cops let shim go, but I did hear the cop tell it "next time I find you in the ladies room with a penis I will arrest your ass". Well after that shim was moved to a checkpoint that was near a unisex (handicap) restroom. These bathrooms have a locking door and only accomodate one person at a time.

Then there was the time that shim wore a yamaka for the high holy days. Of course, in the jewish religion ONLY men wear the yamaka, although in some of the less orthodox temples women can wear them too. Yes, shim was jewish. Anyway, wearing the yamaka would only cause more people to assume it was a man - and this resulted in more "I am a mam not a sir" speeches. It was funny, but would get annoying after the 25th time in one day. So I finally just told it to either take the hat off, OR just put up with people calling it sir. Shim pointed out the name badge, and I reminded it about its deep voice, facial hair, lack of boobs (it did have fat guy man boobs), and hat. What else were people supposed to think?

Anyway, shim was transfered to baggage (along with me, I could not get away from it no matter HOW much I told the manager that I was going to kick its ass one day). One slow day, shim fell asleep at the big x-ray machine. It got written up, and was sent home for a week without pay (the agency was terrified of the lawyer). Then a week after that, shim fell asleep again and was FINALLY fired. Shim could not cry harassment, because there was documentation backing up the action.

Everyone was happy

So there you all go. Now you all have the inside story of a Miami TSA legend, the story of Raquel.
Just try to picture, if you can, Conan The Barbarian saying "I am a mam, not a sir" while wearing a Yamaka and a name badge that said "Connie The Barbarian". Now try to think about that and NOT LAUGH.Even to this day, it cracks me up.

18 Comments:

Blogger GodlessMom said...

Some people are really a piece of work!

I have no problem with people who cross the gender line, either by cross dressing or by going the entire way with the surgery and hormones. I imagine it would be very difficult to live in a skin that didn't feel like it belonged to you.

It seems though that when someone decides to do that they should realize that people are going to be a little confused by how to classify them. It sounds like Raquel wanted everyone to be sensitive to her but was rather caustic and insensitive to the confusion she caused in others.

Very interesting story.

07:55  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Sounds like there was not a dull moment at that job!

08:45  
Blogger Lissette said...

As always, your story put a smile on my face!

So where's that beer?

08:51  
Blogger Fred said...

Shim. You heard it here first.

Your reference to "goober" gives me an idea for a post. "What do you call 'it'"? Hmmmm. Could be interesting.

09:08  
Blogger dddragon said...

We do have a transgender in our office. I've never known Michele as a man - she always was dressed more feminine than most of the rest of us girls. She did, however, have a higher voice. Used the women's room, wasn't obnoxious, didn't make a fuss. Oh, and there used to be a guy who dressed like a movie queen for halloween and looked better than any of us girls!

BUT I must say that at last year's PrideFest, the group of cross-dressing men (dunno if they were transgendered or just cross-dressing) were the MOST unfortunate group that I've ever seen in drag. Some guys can fool you, these would've equaled your Shim Raquel.

10:31  
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

This cracked me up. I think another name for them is Metrosexual, but it and shim is the best. And you tell the story in such a funny style!

12:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love to grill those greasy fat ass queers!

12:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get it, but I don't think I want it!

12:55  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shim would be an all day chew toy!

12:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soapy would be ashamed of you! What are you drinking, dude? I'd like some.

13:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm! Your fat cat looks delicious!

13:03  
Blogger TLP said...

I'm totally okay with cross-dressers, transsexuals, you name it. But your shim was a lousy worker and insensitive to top it off. So shim was appropriately fired. Good.

I've seen men who would make nice looking women, so I know that they're out there. But the couple of men who I have personally known who changed to became women, did make ugly women. Too bad.

17:25  
Blogger TLP said...

Okay. I have to admit, that sensitive as I am to these issues, I laughed at your post. There. I'm a bad person.
I'm going to see if The Pope is in today. I need to make amends.

17:26  
Blogger Jane said...

Oh poor you and your co workers, that sounds like a complete management foobar not prewarning you and sorting out the domestics to everyones comfort. Mind you Raquel sounded like a pain in the butt but I bet Raquel would have been a pain when known as Jeff.

I have transvestite/cross dresser friends (they don't want to do away with the "goober") they are actually the greatest laugh and good people to be around very unlike Raquel by the sounds of it, don't let "shim" scare you off. Bet you the next one you meet will be the life and soul of the party.

Great blog by the way!

18:42  
Blogger A Little Bar of Soap said...

The Good Lord did not give us naughty bits to have us ignore them. (I mean... we SHOULD ignore them in the sense that we shouldn't touch them... but we must heed the gender we're born with.) Men are men and women are women. End of story. Praise be to GOD.

22:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to highschool with a person that sounds exactly like your description. Nothing like seeing a 6'9" 350 pound MAN wearing a dress on your first day at a new school. The most unusual aspect of Jeff was that he spoke like a 50 year old black woman. Did I mention that is was a VERY small school (about 150 people). Perhaps I am intolerant but I completely ignored it. The way I see it, if he/she/it/whatever wants to act like that he/she... should expect people to want to hate them.

23:57  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

OMG. I laughed till I cried!

07:54  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

And just to make it 20 comments for one post......

19:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home