This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Check Engine Light

So a few days ago I am driving to work, and the infamous "check engine" light came on.

Of course when I got to work I lifted the hood and checked the engine. It was still there, so that was good. It looked the same as it did last time I looked at it, so more goodness! All the hoses were still there, all the belts were still there, and there was no fire or smoke. And no snakes, frogs, toads, birds, beavers, rats, or other critters.

OK! So I checked the engine! Everything looked fine, nothing unusual to report. I closed the hood and started the truck. The light should turn off seeing as how I did check the engine as the light suggested.

But it was still on. So I decided to worry about it later and just go to work.

For the next 4 or 5 days I continued to drive to and from work with the stupid light on. I noticed to Friday morning while driving to work. I was not going to get up early Saturday and take the truck to the dealer. Sunday the service department is closed. Monday I work from 6 AM - 2 PM, but when I got out of work I was too tired to deal with the dealer. Same for Tuesday.

But today is my first of two days off. So I went to the dealer today. The truck is under a 100,000 mile extended warranty so I have to go to the dealer to get the warranty thing to work.

I suspected it was a pollution control part gone bad. Most likely an oxygen sensor or EGR valve. These are fairly cheap parts, easy to replace - and when they go bad the engine runs like shit. Typical effects include the vehicle using too much gas, rough idle, soot out the tail pipe, raw unburned gas out the tailpipe, and so on.

The dealer service monkey said that there are exactly 504 reasons the check engine light will come on. Holy crap! That is an ass load of reasons. The dude said that they would hook the truck up to a computer and figure out which reason(s) caused the light to come on. If the warranty covered the repair then there would be no charge. Otherwise, there is a $80 diagnostic fee which is then applied to the cost of the repair if I choose to have it done there.

Well F that crap! The warranty BETTER cover it. They said "bumper to bumper" and according to what I could figure out the problem was NOT from a source beyond the bumpers. Whatever it was - it was located somewhere behind the front bumper and in front of the rear bumper.

As it turned out it was the stupid oxygen sensor. And it also turned out that the part is covered under the warranty. So there is no charge.

But there is ALWAYS a charge. They suggested an engine cleaning. I had this done at 30,000 miles, and was going to have it done again at 60k. I am almost at 60k, so I told them to go on and take care of it. They will remove the intake manifold, bolt on this thing, and pressure clean the engine of all carbon deposits and other assorted gunk.

I have to take the truck back to the dealer at 0700 - 0800 Friday. They will give me a ride to work, then pick me up after work and take me back to get the truck. The engine cleaning will take place at this point.

It should cost somewhere around $200 for the engine internal pressure cleaning. The sensor, which should cost no more than $40 (probably closer to $20) and computer diagnostic is free.

Auto repair totally rules. Even when the repair is covered by a warranty to costs you $200!

4 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

Actually I've had the check engine come on with one of our cars, and all it was, was NOTHING! 'Course they charge you to tell you that.

16:55  
Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

At least your truck go.

18:44  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

It goes, for now anyway.

22:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

internal engine cleaning?!?!? yeah.. did they sell you some prop wash with that? uh, check those intake bolts and they better have some wrench marks on them. sounds like a bunch of horse manure to me. ke4mcl out.

02:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home