This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Being Lazy Pays Off!

Sometimes, it pays off to be lazy.

Just now I got off my ass and filed for unemployment. Actually, I got ON my ass and filed for unemployment. I was comfortably seated while I filled out the forms on the internet. Actually - I was comfortably lying in my bed while filling out the form over the internet. I got a laptop in 2000 because my desktop computer crapped out. I have never gone back to the old school style of computer that needs to be plugged in.

So anyway, I filled out the forms. And I learned a few things in the process!

1. By law, there is a "waiting week". You are not paid for the waiting week. I did not know this!

So by putting this off, I took care of my waiting week without really waiting! My waiting week ended the same day I filled out all the crap (today). This means I can start claiming weeks starting next week - Monday October 23.

Also, I got my last check from the former job today. And it is a massive phat check. All my unused holiday and annual hours were cashed out. So I was able to claim my full earnings for the current year - had I applied sooner my actual earnings would have been slightly understated - and therefore my benefits would have been a little bit lower.

Hey - you have to be accurate with these things! If I commit fraud it is a felony! I want to be as accurate with all this as possible.

And I had to select a "desired career". Now NOWHERE was anything even close to my former job listed. So I had to pick another desired career. You know, so the State can help me find a new job.

Here are some things I saw that made me pause.

1. Dishwasher
2. Short Order Cook
3. Migrant Farm Worker

Does ANYONE actually select these jobs? I mean, it asks you what you WANT to do, not what you did in your last job. It very clearly said DESIRED JOB. People desire to be a dishwasher? And migrant farm worker? Can illegal immigrants file for unemployment? Are citizens migrant farm workers? Very strange.

Anyhow I selected "astronomer". Why not. I have a telescope and stuff already! I know like three or four constellations, and even the names of a few stars. Oh yea and I know all EIGHT planets. Pluto is not a planet anymore - it is an "ice dwarf". Ill bet you did not know that! And on top of all this - I keep astronomer hours! Right now, staying up all night and sleeping all day would not really require me to change my hours of operation very much.

So now the fun part. I hang out for a bit, and when I have to go to the one stop employment center I get to see if the State has any leads on a cool astronomer job.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you applied for unemployment, and I'm surprised that there's a one-week wait period--that would be very bad if you had children to support. Luckily, you don't!
Having the blah's is a form of depression, but a bright talented guy like you will find something else quickly, and the obligation will relieve your funk. Yes, you'll be a phoenix:) GOOD LUCK!
(and I'll have to be square on Nov 4)

oh, and was astronomer really listed? Really?

12:38  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Astronomer was listed. So I figured:

1. Why not?
2. Lets see the employment center try to find an astronomer job vacancy!
3. I can answer that pesky "have you looked for a job" question with "yes, but the only opening I could find was in Chile!".

12:41  
Blogger The Devil Uno said...

Was there a Job for psychic or Medium?

22:54  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

You know what? I forgot to look for that.

23:52  
Blogger TLP said...

Well, I want to be a doctor. Can I check that box even though I don't have a medical degree?

11:37  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Why not!!! Move to Florida, apply for unemployment - and you may become a doctor!!!

I can call you Doctor Tan Lucy Pez, Dentist (or whatever) and you can call me Doctor Lazy Iguana, Astronomer!!!

Then we can go out for a beer or a wine or something. And play golf. You know - do doctor stuff.

It will totally rule!

02:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home