This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Easy Day

Today I am being sent to some Environmental Center for the day. The center is located on Key Biscayne, inside of Crandon Park. Right on Biscayne Bay.

It seems that this place is mainly used for field trips. It is a two day program. One day involves in the water stuff, the other day involves lab work and a stroll through a hardwood hammock. Instructors are supposed to know stuff about the ecosystem of the bay and of hardwood hammocks.

So I will be spending a good part of the day with my feet wet. Or so it seems. It will be an easy day of slogging through the shallow grass flats, identifying critters captured in a drag net. Good thing I have my boat shoes that are already nasty and used to being in salt water. And I get paid for it. Getting paid for something you would probably do for free is always a good thing.

The people who run the place told me that have a hard time finding people to fill in there, because of the specialized nature of the stuff done there. But I have basic laboratory experience, so I could probably run the labs there. I may need to study the manuals a bit, and brush up on a few chemistry geek skills, and go over the math - but no big deal there. I have spent my share of time in hardwood hammocks. I can probably identify the critters captured by dragging a landing net through some grass flats in shallow water. So this will work out pretty good. I will enjoy it.

The only down side - I am not allowed to bring my kayak.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

That sounds like a great day, being outside, identifying critters, being near the ocean.
Want to trade? You take my night with the old folks and I'll take your day with the critters trapped in the net!

03:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps you can sport a pair of golasha's? Hope you take some cool pics!

14:59  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

No thanks. Ill take my day at the nature center.

It was a lot of fun. I was able to identify most of the critters captured.

15:13  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Beanie - no photos. The nature center is also a public school, and taking photos of students is kind of creepy. Plus my digital camera is not waterproof.

No wading boots either. Closed toe shoes are the rule. Any old pair of ratty sneakers is what you want.

16:00  
Blogger Daisy said...

That sounds fun! I am glad you didn't get any alligators in your net. That would be scary.

17:40  
Blogger Dave said...

The Lazy,

Stay in the high grass so the enemy won't spot you. It's also good to have a hollow tube just in case you need to stay submerged.

20:04  
Blogger TLP said...

It's a wonderful thing to enjoy your work.

21:40  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Daisy - alligators are not found in saltwater, but crocodiles are.

Actionbell - it was not so bad. I have had worst day jobs

Caiman - I do not think sea grass counts for that. If you can hide in it you are less than a foot in size. To stay submerged I would need an 80 cubic foot aluminum compressed air tank, a first stage, and a regulator.

TLP - it was great. Really. Truly. The best. I would do it for free.

22:37  
Blogger Normy said...

That sounds like lots of fun... I wish they did that around here.

15:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home