This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Correction

One of the comments posted yesterday mentioned awe over the megalodon tooth photo. So, just how big was this thing? Well nobody knows. But we DO know how large sharks of today are. So unless the megalodon was some kind of deformed creature with a short body and huge mouth, science has extracted this comparison diagram. The little thing that looks like a scuba diver is an average sized adult in scuba gear. That little fish is a great white shark.

And it also seems that I was a bit off. They did not die out on the last mass extinction event. As best science can tell, they were around till 1.5 million years ago. It is though that climate change relating to the ice age and warm shallow seas drying up is what did them in. Also many species of marine mammals went extinct during this same time, animals which the giant shark likely fed on. No food = no fish.

So the mass extinction 65 million years ago did not kill these things off. Had I known this yesterday I would have picked some other extinct creature.

But I have a valid excuse here. I am not a paleontologist or a bigfoot hunting, Loch Ness Monster seeking cryptozoologist.

But all this fish talk reminds me of something. I have not gone fishing in a while. So I should do that. Maybe Thursday???? Ill have to check my busy schedule and see if I can pencil in some time.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Damn..that is a big-ass fish Lazy.

Are sharks considered fish btw? You would be the one to ask m'dear ;)

13:23  
Blogger Blank said...

Incredible tooth there. Sharks ARE fish, aren't they. They're just fish made of cartilage instead of bone, I'm thinking. I defer to Lazy's expertise here.

21:33  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Dusty and Scarlet - sharks are fish. They have gills and scales. This makes them fish. I think it also possible to be a fish without having scales - but you have to have gills. You also have to have a spinal cord. To be a fish you do not need a backbone. So sharks and rays are fish.

22:57  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you sweet man..I knew you would be able to explain it. ;)

23:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

megalodon is such a cool name,- it's a shame that it's extinct because one hardly gets to use that word nowdays unless you are palaeontologist, or a bigfoot hunting, loch ness monster seeking cryptozoologist.

01:42  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just love learning about ancient critters. As a child, I wanted to be a paleontologist. Instead I ended up writing the world's strangest book, which includes a couple of paleontologist characters.
The book seems to be heating up--I have recently been hammered with 27 requests of copies for review. This is the most ever. But I'll tell you what's really hot--me! Yes, I am currently running a fever which has now risen to 100.8
I bet all you guys wish your girlfriend was hot like me!

01:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some questions for you.

Have you watched The Guardian yet?
that movie had a lot of water in it

Have you ever tasted the intense spiced dill pickles? they're good

Have you ever licked the inside of the microwave popcorn bag? right there where all the melted goo was? it's a real treat.

02:41  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Dusty - not a problem!

Ponder - apparently Megalodon means "big tooth" in greek. So now if I ever go to Greece I know that "lodon" means tooth :)

Lily - excellent! I hope the reviews go well for you. And I hope you can cool off slightly.

Doozie - yes. I have watched it and I sent it back. I have never tried any intense spiced dill pickles. I will look for them. EVERYONE has licked the microwave popcorn bag.

03:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home