This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Friday, December 05, 2008

DDG-67

A special visitor is in Port Everglades, Ft. Lauderdale right now. The USS Cole (DDG-67), an Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer. Pictured above is the USS Cole, underway somewhere in one of the worlds oceans or seas.

This is the same ship that was attacked by a small recreational type vessel loaded with explosives while in port in Yemen.

Well not to be done in by a small fiberglass boat, the Cole was repaired and headed back to sea. And now she is visiting South Florida. I am sure that right now as I type this, people serving on her are out somewhere raising hell like only US Navy personnel can do. I hope Ft Lauderdale can handle it.

Anyhow, she is open to tours. I do not know if she is open to the entire general public or not, but I got an email saying if I wanted to take a guided tour I should email someone. So I did. And I got a time slot! Today. Friday! So I have to be at the port before the tour starts.

Cameras are allowed. There may or may not be areas of the ship where photos are not allowed to be taken. I have no idea. I figure someone will tell me if this is the case however. My guess is this is the reason I was told to show up before the tour starts - so that I can get a briefing.

Anyhow - this will be cool. When I get chances to do stuff like this I do it. Because they do not come along every day.

I am going with a full camera battery, and an empty storage card.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Sounds like fun. We've been on the "North Carolina" at Wilmington, but that is hardly state of the art.

06:30  
Blogger M@ said...

Cool. I know from some connections here that the Navy would eventually defeat the fast-moving, small suicide boat threat with autonomous and semi-autonomous robotic surface craft surrounding such ships.

They won't let that happen again.

19:24  
Blogger Doozie said...

I have a question wikilazyia, where and how did it get started where all ships/vessels are "she's"

23:26  
Blogger Doozie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

23:26  
Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

Sorry I've been MIA. I've been working on creating my own social network. It will run MySpace and Facebook over like gophers on an 8-lane highway!
Only kidding. It would actually kinda suck if it got that big.
I'd be interested in visiting a submarine, except that I'm really claustrophobic and would feel kind of like an ass if I had to rush out of there screaming and gasping for breath because I started having a panic attack.
I swear that this nutrition bar I'm eating tastes like it was laced with peppermint schnapps. They say "natural peppermint extract." I should be so lucky!

06:33  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Fuzz - I have visited the USS Alabama, in Mobile Bay. It is a WWII era battleship. Not very high tech either. Well in its day it was.

M@ - they post deck gunners when in foreign ports. But the ships can refuel at sea, which is probably SOP for hostile areas now. At sea it would be tough to get close to the ship. In port the ship is more vulnerable to attack.

Doozie - I have heard many reasons why ships are so frequently given female names. The reason that sounds right to me is that a ship is very high maintenance. You have to take good care of your ship, or else you could die at sea. There was ALWAYS something that needed care.

CM - If it gets that big, sell it for a tidy sum. Peppermint schnapps is horrible stuff. I can't believe I used to drink it.

16:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home