This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Light Duty Weekend

The weekend is here! So nothing too heavy. Heavy topics are for the weekday.

Weekends are for beer.

Which brings me to pointless point 1! On Good Friday I went to the supermarket to buy (of all things) dry ice. I needed the dry ice for the long weekend in Key Largo. Had to keep the nasty stinky bait frozen you know! Regular old wet ice will not do that.

And while in the store, I also remembered I needed beer. Not not knowing what beer I might want, I selected three 6 packs. Long Hammer IPA, Samuel Adams Boston ALE, and the old standby - Sierra Nevada Pale.

I liked the Long Hammer. That earns the seal of approval. Of course the Sierra Nevada is always good. But the Boston Ale??? Not really my style. I had high hopes for it. I like the Boston Lager. But the Boston Ale is probably not something I will obtain anytime soon. it was just a bit on the sweet / malty side for me.

And in other news, a while ago I helped a friend out by moving junk out of their place and bringing it....HERE! Where else?

By the way - anyone want a big ass fake Christmas Tree? It is free! Just come get it. I also have a fake sword, some metal dragon wall decoration thing, and..........

A REEL MOWER!!!!


Yes, they still make these things. This is the exact reel mower I got for free. It has an 18 inch cutting path. It uses no electricity and requires no gas. You push it, these blades spin around, and it cuts grass.

It actually cuts the grass amazingly well. When I was forced to take it I was like "great, what the hell am I supposed to do with this shit" - but I figured might as well hang onto it.

I used it Friday. In the late afternoon of course. When the sun was lower in the sky. There is less heat.

It was pretty cool. Grass was flying everywhere. Now the mower is not perfect. Bottle caps that some asshole threw in the lawn caused it to come to a sudden halt once or twice. Twigs also make it come to a stop.

But other than that - it works great. And makes a lot less noise. it requires more work to push it, but no work at all to start it.

For small yards, the reel mower is the way to go. For larger yards - you probably want a power mower. The yard here is small enough that I can use a reel mower, but large enough that I have to think about it.

if the grass is tall - forget it. Go for the power mower.

But there you go. My Earth friendly, does not need any foreign oil, noise free, manual mower.

The neighbors think I am crazy. But that is OK. I think they are morons. So it all balances out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

I used to use one of those when I was a kid. They work pretty well for small yards if the ground's not too rough. You need to keep it sharp.

07:00  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Fuzz - From my research, they do not need to be sharpened very often. Once every few years - unless you hit a lot of rocks and bottle caps and stuff.

They are also used on golf courses. For the fairway and putting green. The putting green is ridiculously short, and conventional power mowers can not get that low. So out come the reel mowers.

I agree with the small yard bit. And the grass can not be ass high. But for the size yard here - if I do not let it resemble the Amazon Rain Forest, the reel mower will work.

14:33  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a reel mower. But I hardly ever use it because my neighbor likes riding his power mower and he mows my yard (such as it is) for $5.

01:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home