This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Friday, July 08, 2005

In Poor Taste

first off, it is hurricane update time! Here is the latest prediction for tropical storm force winds over the next 4 days.



Now for the REAL post. As you all know, the mass transit system of London was bombed today. While I was getting ready to go to work the TV was tuned into one of the 24/7 news networks. I think it was Bloomberg. I thought their report was in very poor taste.

They were talking about how the bombings were not going to effect the US markets. They were talking about how one index did have a sharp decline, but it had already recovered. The talking heads did not expect the overseas markets to loose much either.

I am shure it came as a big relief to the British people to know that the US markets were not going to loose any money. Those who lost loved ones on the trains or the bus will find comfort knowing that the futures markets are fine.

I realize that Bloomberg is a 24/7 business news network, and that they had nothing else to guess about this morning - but still the talking heads have very poor taste. I was disgusted by the whole thing, and downright embarrassed and ashamed as an American that other Americans were on the TV yapping about how they were not going to loose any money that day.

Yes, there will be economic impacts. And yes, those impacts will sooner or later be news. But really - they could have showed some respect and waited to make the news LATER as opposed to as the events were happening. I am pretty shure that the Birtish were not so quick to talk about the impact on markets when the Twin Towers were smoking, and falling to the ground. They probably waited at least a few hours after the buildings collapsed for that.

Shame on Bloomberg!! They are now at the top of my TV shit list.

11 Comments:

Blogger GodlessMom said...

Sounds kind of like a lot of three year olds I know. IT'S ALL ABOUT ME!!!!

08:46  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

You know, it's funny - I had the same impression.

I also heard Rush Limbaugh briefly (as I was scanning for talk on what was going on ). He said it was such a relief to know that only a couple hundred people died and that it showed how weak Al Qaida was since the attack was insignificant. I was shocked he would dismiss those lives so lightly. As I said to someone else who was in my car at that time, every life is precious.

I know what he MEANT, but it came out HORRIBLY.

It turns out now that the death toll is only at 37, I believe? I think we are very fortunate that Al Qaida is either very weak, or that it was another group entirely. Because with any concerted effort, and a stronger backing, they could have done so much more damage than they were able to inflict.

I also just read that two of the bombs that were planted didn't go off at ALL, or the casualties would be worse.

09:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you think uncle sam doesnt have their hands in the media? "quick, send out positive messages before our people panic!"

can you say big brother? i knew you could...

10:47  
Blogger Jane said...

The figure is now over 50 unfortunately, they haven't yet recovered all the bodies from the site between Kings Cross and Russel Square. But we are fortunate that the death toll although 50+ too many is relatively low compared to what happened in Madrid and on 9/11.

I live an hour away from London by train and Kings Cross is the terminus I use been through Russel Square many a time scary to think that.

The British media did give it a few hours before speculating on the economic impacts of 9/11. And I'm sure that the journalists at Bloomberg will be very pleased that the British Stock market has bounced back today.

I'm more pleased that it appears that all our emergency services swung into action like a well oiled machine and brought the chaos under control so quickly, saved lives and helped so many yesterday. Corny I know but it the sort of thing that makes me proud to be British.

13:15  
Blogger TLP said...

Well, the bombs brought out the best and the worst I guess. The best in the British people, the worst in the media. Nothing new.

13:41  
Blogger Fred said...

You'd think they could take the feed from another channel for at least a few hours, then go back to their talking heads routine.

14:13  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

It's always about money, oil, and profits.

When I saw that picture of the hurricane, I was secretly hoping it would go towards W's window.

I am back to blogging, and have a post I think you will like today.

In all seriousness, it is a horrible loss what happened in London.

14:22  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Fred and Tan Lucy,

Ain't it the truth?

Anonymous,

Yup.

Jane,

I think it's amazing how most of you Brits are handling this. You are all so positive, and no one is running about tearing their hair out. I love my country but I think we'd all handle it differently (perhaps because we don't have the same experience that you have over there).

14:23  
Blogger Jane said...

Saurkraut, we are just quieter in expressing our emotions, there are all sorts of feeling out there, anger, fear, numbness, impotence in the face of terrorism, but we tend to shout quietly about it. Also unfortunately we suffered domestic terrorism for thirty odd years, I grew up used to having my bag searched and there being no rubbish bins in railway stations and airports. (the rights and wrongs of the causes of that domestic terrorism is another debate again) We are used to this we know the routine, fear and loads of false bomb scares at the start, to that of well if it happens to me it happens to me because you can't live your life in fear.

911 was a huge assualt against the States, your emergency workers were heros, we just do it differently, me I say well done you are stars, you say "way to go and make car stickers" the sentiment is the same.

15:33  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Jane,

Thanks, hon. Tell me/us: how has this affected you, personally? And do you think that this will change the feelings of the British public about their involvement in the Iraq war?

19:05  
Blogger Lila said...

Yes... the news from London is horrible. And you're so right about the economic market stuff. I had the same thought. What a warped world we live in... Capitalism makes me nuts sometimes.

23:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home