This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Lazy Movies

I love Netflix. It is perhaps the greatest thing ever invented. You sign up, pick a bunch of movies, and DVDs start to show up in your mailbox. Watch them then mail them back. Then they send you more.

Anyhow, sometimes I still go to the real movies. Like on Tuesday. I went to see Pan's Labyrinth.

Pan's Labyrinth is a good movie, but not for everyone. First off, it is todos en Español. Not that this is a big deal - it has subtitles. And it is set in Spain during the Spanish Civil War. So what language do you want the movie to be in? How about Russian!

Oh yea and it was a Spanish/Mexican production.

Anyhow, it is a somewhat dark and disturbing movie. It has an R rating for language (they say conio a lot) and some violence. And here is another cool thing - the creatures are NOT CGI! It is a guy wearing a lot of makeup.

So go see the movie before it is out of the theaters.

Anyhow - here is what I have right now from Netflix!

1. La Vallee. This is a French film.
Viviane (Bulle Ogier), a straightforward young woman, sets out on a birding
expedition in New Guinea, where she meets Olivier (Michael Gothard), an adventurer
who's about to leave with some friends on an expedition into the jungle. The goal
is to discover an unknown valley in the phantom regions of the island marked only
by blank spots ("obscured by clouds") on the map. Only the natives suspect the
valley is where the gods live. …

Oh yea, the soundtrack to this film is contained on the album "Obscured By Clouds" by Pink Floyd. Good luck finding this in a video store - it is a foreign movie and therefore nobody wants to see it. But Netflix has it. And now I have it.

2. Tideland. This is a Terry Gilliam movie. You know, they guy from Monty Python who wrote and directed such films as Time Bandits, Jabberwocky, Brazil, 12 Monkeys, The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen, The Brothers Grimm, and some other stuff I am forgetting about. I missed this one when it was in theaters, but now I have it.

3. Jesus Camp. A documentary featuring "an unfiltered look at a revivalist subculture where devout Christian youngsters are being primed to deliver the fundamentalist community's religious and political messages. Building an evangelical army of tomorrow, the Kids on Fire summer camp in Devil's Lake, N.D., is dedicated to deepening the preteens' spirituality and sowing the seeds of political activism as they're exhorted to "take back America for Christ." On a side note, the formerly reverend and currently VERY fabulous Ted Haggard is in it, spouting off about something. Probably about how terrible gay people are.

Plus 95 more movies in queue, and another 11 in the "saved" list. The "saved" list is where you can add movies that have not yet been released on DVD. Tideland was once there.

Netflix is great.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

Yes, I too get tired of the CGI creatures. How about some good old puppets? The puppets that they used in Independence Day were incredible! Some of the best I've seen. Plus its fun to read about movie special effects when its done with costumes, puppets, miniatures and models. How the hell much can you read about CGI before you go to sleep, unless you are a CGI geek?
(no offense to CGI geeks intended)

04:38  
Blogger Ed said...

I'm on the one at a time plan myself. Just watched The Departed last weekend and this weekend it will be Goodfella's which I have never seen.

08:33  
Blogger M@ said...

I know my social life is going really well when Netflix emails me to ask why they haven't heard from me in so long... and why i haven't returned my movies in three weeks.

I dig the subtitles, though. If you're literate, you forget there even there after you settle in.

11:10  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

CM - Pan's Labyrinth is a good movie. Really. It is not some sappy happy movie - it is dark and gloomy. Not at all what I was expecting. Hell, I thought it was PG-13 not R. Shows what I know.

Ed - I thought about the one at a time plan. But then you spend $6 for one at a time with a 3 per month limit or $11 for one at a time as many per month as you want. For another $6 you get three at a time unlimited. So I did that. The 6 at a time plan seemed to be out of control.

Matt - I had Magnolia for over 2 months before I got around to watching it. But in that time I had several other movies come and go.

13:06  
Blogger Ed said...

I thought the same thing about the additional $6 for three at a time. However, I knew I wouldn't get much else done (with a nine month old, it sometimes takes me three nights to watch a movie) so I settled for just $11 and watching one movie a week.

16:15  
Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Love Netflix. We usually only watch them one night a week, so one at a time work fine for us. They have a lot of variety and, like you pointed out, you can be lazy, and no late fees.

18:25  
Blogger Dave said...

The Lazy,

I've never used Netflix. It souds interesting. There's just something about a tub of popcorn, sweettarts, and a large beverage with a Homie kicking the back of my seat.

20:20  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Caiman - you ought to try Netflix. It is worth it.

00:28  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't have time for dvd's. I am lucky to see a movie thats 2 years old. I get excited when HBO or Showtime show a movie from 2006.

I did see Jesus Camp, not all of it. Scary shit..seriously.

02:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have netflix, two at a time. Last time I had it, I forgot to watch the movies, and had them for months at a time, and it did not pay off. I'm trying to do better this time.

11:27  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Dusty - Jesus Camp was a good documentary. Pretty much all of it was given to one side. What I saw was mass hypnosis and right wing propaganda passing for "religious values". But at least I have a better idea what the world is up against now.

Kristen - that is too bad. I will never use another video store again. Of course if I had to go to the same place as the video store to get my mail I might be better at returning stuff on time. But still - Netflix has EVERYTHING. No video store can have as many titles.

Badoozie - if you sit on movies then Netflix likes you better. And it still pays off, think of the amount you would pay in late fees. The video store may just sell you the movie (for full price no doubt) after that long.

14:43  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i am the late fee queen. hollywood video made so much money off me

19:38  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Badoozie - I still owe Hollywood Video some money. Which is why I have Netflix. If I never go back there they can not get the late fee I owe.

03:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home