This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Friday, June 15, 2007

The Scam

I figured out the scam. I also decided that I screwed the pooch by not being a dentist. I should have gone to dentist school.

Here is how the scam works. I go in for a cleaning. And they cleaned my teeth. I am deplaqueified and everything. They also took x-rays.

Anyway, after the cleaning they checked for gum pockets. Gum pockets is how gum disease starts. Anyhow they found 2 small ones. I had more, but those were discovered the first time I went last year.

Anyhow the discovery of the little pockets upgraded the cleaning to "periodontal" cleaning. But I do not think I was charged any more.

The pockets are not very deep. They are pretty shallow. The dentist entered the room and looks at my x-rays and proclaims "I do not see any decay". No shit. I could see by the x-rays I had no tooth decay. How much does Captain Obvious make? A lot. He also checked the depth of the pockets.

Now here is the SCAM. The cleaner said "we better schedule another appointment in a few weeks to check those pockets! You may need an antibiotic treatment. Did you catch where the scam is?

Another appointment huh? BZZZZZZZZZZ. Wrong. I say "well hell, I am here now so lets go! Load up that antibiotic powder shit and lets roll! Get is on!". The dentist says "they are not too deep, but yea - go on and treat them now". Another appointment my ass. All that is going to do is cost more.

The antibiotic treatment is this funky tetracycline like powder. Yes powder. They use this device to "inject" it. But not with a needle. They load up this thing, place it on top of the pocket, and then BAM! Somehow the powder gets crammed into the pocket. No problem. And no "follow up appointment". The antibiotic treatment is $40 a shot, and I needed two.

They did schedule another appointment in three months. Whatever. I suppose that one is a good idea.

I saw the real dentist for all of three minutes. And he probably billed me at least $30 for that. I hope his Bently was the one parked under the tree all the birds were in. I fed the birds some sunflower seeds soaked in liquid laxative just in case.

So between the cleaning, x-rays, tetracycline, and three minute visit by the real dentist - the total was $250. Last time I had a routine cleaning at that place it was $60. That is what I was expecting today.

And it rained today. I was unable to do very much to the boat. The silicone glue idea did not work out so well. The tube was not big enough to get the proper amount of goop out. So I will have to use some caulking. Probably silicone based caulking. I need to have a lot of stuff on the fiberglass mounting plate. Oh well. The anchor rope is marked off every 25 feet. I got that done. There is only about 150 feet total of anchor line. That is enough to get a decent hold in 40 feet of water. I may be able to anchor in as much as 50 feet. But with only 3 feet of line out for every 1 foot of water depth, I would not trust the hold in 50 feet. I have a lot of chain but it is better to have 7 feet of line out for every 1 foot of depth. I can add more line later. I just need to do a long back splice on the anchor chain. No problem.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger cathouse teri said...

Hey Iggy... page didn't take any less time to load, but the story was great! :)

04:18  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

OMG, it's been a week or so, and you have 26 new posts ... what's with that. I'm gonna go read them now ... stay tuned.
Have a great weekend.
Take care, Meow

05:20  
Blogger Ed said...

All dentists are scam artists and are always wanting me to come back or get this, etc. I tell them once every six months is fine even if they want me to come back more often and I tell them x-rays only once every two years. All the extra stuff I just tell them I am not interested.

08:24  
Blogger TLP said...

You know, my dentist does that: everything is a new appointment. Not for me. I have all my natural teeth and I never have any problems.

But for my 78 yr. old husband. He doesn't brush enough. (And neither do YOU.) But you are correct. The second appointment is a scam. But I know that our dentist would just say: "No, we're all scheduled for today. You'll have to come back."

11:59  
Blogger cathouse teri said...

*update*

I just arrived again and page loaded a little bit faster.

15:21  
Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

I'm waiting for my gums to recede enough so I can pull my own teeth. I was working with a guy once, when he took a bite out of an apple and his tooth stayed in it. He just laughed. It didn't look so bad to me.

16:50  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Teri - it is the java script crap I have. I may have to get rid of some video games. I like Neo-Earth and the Bush time left in office countdown timer.

Meow - one post per day. So you must have been gone 26 days. Or 27 days - you are one day in the future.

Ed - I like my teeth so I do not argue with every scam. But if I can get the treatment now as opposed to next time - WTF?!?! It is cheaper now.

TLP - The dentist makes his money by making new appointments. But I like my teeth so I keep going back.

Fuzz - That is an option. I have thought about it myself. Let the teeth rot out, pull them myself, and get dentures. Or better yet get those individual porcelain teeth that are anchored into your jaw with titanium screws. They look just like real teeth but never get cavities. And they never come out. It would probably be cheaper in the long run.

19:24  
Blogger Herr Krokodil said...

The Lazy,

I thought you were going to be uglier than you are. A woman could clean you up nicely even with those nasty pockets.

That boat looks good. I forget what HP merc do you have on it?

I wouldn't want a job where I had to be near people's mouths. Just nasty.

21:22  
Blogger Jenn said...

herr,
So no pimping. Aw, and without all that great hair. Such a waste.

lazy,
I like your picture. I shall blow it up and put it in my bathroom for safekeeping. I hope the incense doesn't fade the color.

The dentist makes more money than new Iraq War funding. It's really not fair.

21:36  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Krok - The boat has a Mercury Optimax 135 Bluewater Series. I can run at least 35 mph at full throttle. At cruising speed the engine is very good on gas. My nasty pockets are hidden behind my lower teeth. Nobody can see them unless I am laying down, under a bright light, with my mouth open, with someone standing over me looking into my mouth with dental probes to check the depth of gum pockets.

Emma - if I had gone into dentistry I could probably afford a larger boat. I could name it "Molar". Or "Root Canal".

00:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I think the antibiotic thing was a scam as well. I've never heard of that before. You're supposed to be protected from gum disease by flossing. you need to find a different dentist

03:02  
Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

I couldn't afford to get my teeth cleaned this year because my son had to get a small cavity filled and let us just say I don't seem to have had any Rockefellers hiding in my background who decided to leave me any money, and I don't have dental insurance. So my gums will bleed like a bastard when I get them cleaned next year. C'est La Vie.

05:22  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I too have the Sonic Care thing. It works pretty good. Better life through chemistry!

00:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home