This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My Labor Day

Today, for the first time ever in the historty of the universe - I had to go to work on Labor Day. But do not feel too bad, I was on time and a half PLUS I got 8 hours of regular time. Everyone got 8 hours of regular time, even if they did not show up - but I got paid for that time PLUS another 12 hours. At least I think. I might not have been on time and a half today. I would have to ask payroll, but I am too lazy. I aint gonna squabble over 4 measly hours. I would only do that if I did not like the job.

Now this is not exactly a bad thing. First off, I get more money. I need more money, because at 3 bucks a gallon it could cost me as much as $120 to use my boat (it has a 40 gallon fuel tank). Usually I do not use more than 1/2 a tank, but that is still 60 beans. Plus beer and ice cost, and of course the 10 bucks for the EVIL BOAT RAMP PAY MACHINES. Anyway, we are talking about some cheese here. So I need all the time and a half I can scam.

And then there is the whole Cornelius matter. He still needs his kitten shots. This will not be free. Oh yea and my truck needs new tires. The tires on it now have 40,000 miles on them and they are almost 4 years old, so I can not really complain too much here. But still - I will need 265/75/R16 tires to replace the ones I have now. So there is another $500 unless I can find them on sale. But really now - $500 for another 4 years is not too bad. It breaks down to $10.42 per month for 4 years. I think it is worth $10 a month to NOT have a tire failure while driving 60 mph.

Anyway, getting back to Labor Day and me going in to the office. It got me thinking. Why do we get the day off? It is not called "Happy Fun Time Day" or "Day Off Day". It is called Labor Day, someone who did not know better might think that the proper thing to do on this day would be to labor or something. Not that I am complaining, like I mentioned before I got broke off to the second power for going in.

Therefore I propose the name of the holiday be changed to "Lack Of Labor Day" or "No Labor Day". It could also be called "Work Is Optional Day", or even "Double Time Work Day".

Another plus to working on Monday was the fact that the boss was not there. Not that I have a terrible boss, I actually have a decent boss. But still, no boss day is always good. There were only three of us lowly regular people in the office today. And there was not a lot of work. I only had one assignment, and I worked on some reports I have to keep updated. But was I busy all day? Not really. I would work on the reports for a little, then get up to get tea or chat with other people, then work on the reports some more, then walk around the airport doing the assignment, then get lunch, then print some more stuff out, and so on. I do not remember the phone ringing even once, and the fax machine was quiet.

All things considered, it was a pretty good day. Even if I did have to go to work.

7 Comments:

Blogger TLP said...

Have you checked your pulse lately? I'm thinking that maybe you died and went to heaven or somthing like that. Your job certainly seems sorta heavenly.

11:05  
Blogger Tom & Icy said...

May as well get paid for doing about the same kind of thing you would do if you were at home.

12:14  
Blogger Jane said...

I love jobs like that you're lucky.

13:07  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I want your job! OK, maybe not (cuz I'm starting my own biz) but yours sounds second best! I think working on Labor Day for time and a half is marvellous! Good for you. Give Cornellius a big kiss on his little nose for me.

14:28  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

This new job has made a new man out of you, Iguana!

Turning a negative into a postive.

14:41  
Blogger Lila said...

More money is awesome, and if the boss isn't even around to cramp your style... win-win!

21:12  
Blogger Fred said...

Any openings where you work?

22:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home