This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Friday, March 14, 2008

One Of Them

I remember making fun of people with Blackberry devices. Always checking email from everywhere. Tethered to their mobile device as if life itself depended on it.

I would laugh at them and refer to the device as a "dingleberry".

But my new phone has internet access and the unlimited data plan. When I first got it I was using the data plan a whole lot. It was a new thing. But really the internet browser it has sucks ass. The Iphone browser is much nicer. Opera makes it more usable than the Internet Explorer mobile version the phone came with. What a piece of shit that is.

But still, I have found some uses for data on the phone. Like for example Google Maps. If I am out somewhere and need to find some place, I can open Opera and do a Google search for whatever I am looking for. Then go to Google Maps and punch in the address. Turn on the phone GPS and I am there. Street level mapping.

Also I can use the phone to receive XM Satellite Radio programming, but this would require an extra monthly charge. I used my three day free trial but never subscribed for anything else. But the option is there!

However, I recently did something else. I created an email account for my phone. I own a domain and the hosting company allows me up to 1500 POP3 email accounts. Well I do not need that many, but it does offer the option of multiple accounts. So I created one for the phone. Two actually, but I decided the first one was too long.

And now I find myself to be one of them. Checking the phone for email. Finding reasons to send email from various places. Because I can.

But I am still not a dingleberry person. You do not see me constantly sending and receiving emails on the phone. I am not always typing away, lost in my own little world and not noticing what is going on around me. In fact, I have not even given the new email address out to anyone. I do not really want to get what I call "instant pestering" messages on the phone.

I do not want to be one of them, but the modern world seems to demand that I become one of them. I am resisting as best I can. But one man, alone, can not fight a world war. He needs an army. At least. Actually he needs an army, and air force, and a navy.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

I refer to it as the Crackberry due to its evidently addicting nature.

08:51  
Blogger Jenn said...

I hate having to carry a cell phone.

Speaking of, I was watching an old episode of Miami Vice and there was Don Johnson talking on a mini fridge and an antennae.

High tech.

12:44  
Blogger cathouse teri said...

I want the new email so I can pester you!

15:07  
Blogger M@ said...

My employer is getting me some sort of dingleberry/iphone. I can't wait.

17:36  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats text messenging ya know, not emailing. you don't text ?

email your phone number and I will text you and we can banter then you will feel really special like all those others who are typing away. I promise I won't call you. I dont'call people i've never met.

23:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not "pestering". it's good informative info, ask emma, she knows my style

23:23  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Ed - I actually feel sorry for those people. The boss expects them to be available 24 hours a day. Remember when "vacation" meant "sit on a beach drinking tropical drinks"? I do. These days "vacation" means keep the cell phone on you in case we need to contact you, and you better NOT be drunk. Well I say "FUCK THAT SHIT". You call me on vacation with work related shit and I will just laugh, for I will be drunk. That is if I even answer the phone.

Emma - I do not mind so much. I am careful who has my number. People who know me know not to call me on vacation. When they do they pretty much expect my speech to be slightly slurred.

Teri - which one? Text messages or email? I got it all.

M@ - JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!! That shit will be the WORST THING ever. You will be expected to be "on call" which means "do not plan shit". DO NOT ACCEPT THAT PHONE UNLESS YOU GET A RAISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not stress that enough.

Doozie - chicks seem to like texting. I used to hate it, but that was before I had a phone with a full keyboard. Now that I have a full keyboard it is not too bad I suppose.

01:03  
Blogger cathouse teri said...

I want it all, babe! Send it!

15:28  
Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

The only use I've found for my cell phone browser is downloading my ring tone and background of the month!

01:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home