This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Building Stuff

My latest DIY project is pretty much done. 2/3 done anyway.

I like these sorts of projects. They are fun. But the problem is that I tend to suck at DIY things that are not REALLY easy.

But no matter what, the project ALWAYS progresses as follows. First I have to think up something to do that I figure I can handle on my own. Then I have to decide if doing it myself will be cheaper than just buying whatever crazy thing it is that I need.

Once I figure that it IS cheaper to just get the item in question than to attempt to build it myself, I then have to decide that I will build it anyway.

The latest project was simple. Make some flag staffs that fit into the boat rod holders.

Sounds easy huh? Well it was. But after the first ones were built I thought up ways to improve them. And then they fell out of the boat on the highway.

So I had to go back. I got two more poles. BUT the Home Depot was out of the stainless steel eye bolts I needed. So I go to another Home Depot and they had the correct eye bolts. I also got some locking nuts and washers.

So I am up to three trips.

But then I think up more things I can do with sticks. And I think that some wood stain and varnish would make the flag staffs look better.

Four trips.

And then after applying stain three times (it is way easier than painting, just slop the stuff on, let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe off the excess with napkins or an old shirt or whatever) I apply a few coats of varnish.

BUT.....the gloss is just not right. Because I did not sand the poles before each coat of varnish.

So - back to Home Depot! I need some 220 grit sand paper. And while I am there I decide to get another unfinished pole to make another staff. I also get a sanding sponge to see how they work. And they work very well!

Five trips to the cursed place of improvement. But I am pleased with the end results.


And I learned something! First I should have sanded the first two poles before applying the stain. I sanded the third pole with the sponge which has medium and fine grit. Then I hit it with the very fine 220 grit paper. Before the stain was applied it was smooth as could be. The stain took very well. One application is all it needs.

The other two were already stained and a few applications of varnish were applied. So I sanded them with the 220 and applied another coat of varnish. Then when it dried I sanded them again and applied more varnish. They are drying now.

The third staff will have the first coat of varnish applied sometime later today.

Ill have photos of my handy work tomorrow!!!!!

By the way, 5 trips to the place of curse is about right. I never get all the stuff I need on the first trip. Call it poor planning. Call it screwing up and having to go get more stuff because I destroyed the first batch of stuff. Call it whatever you want. It ALWAYS happens.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Blank said...

Instead of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, it's If You Give an Iguana a Stick of Wood....

12:12  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

If you give an iguana a stick of wood......

He will try to construct something. And that something will likely turn out to be a failure. So he will either buy more stuff to start over OR just buy the finished product.

Either way - Iguana Man is now over budget.

19:27  
Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

I hope you live near to the place of curse.
That sort of thing can cause one to not quite finish a project till "later".

22:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Lazy,

I saw a life jacket laying on the side of the road today and thought you might be visiting the area.

Thanks for the video.

23:04  
Blogger Doozie said...

the part about the poles falling out in the highway gave me giggles.

I hate projects. Hey, I have tiny little bumps all over my torso, and when I pick at them they turn red. I just thought I'd throw that out there

06:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home