This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Monday, October 06, 2008

Weekend Plans.

Columbus Day is this weekend! And what is Columbus Day you ask?

Well it depends on who you are. If you are of European descent then it is the day we honor the dude given credit for discovering the new world. Which already had people living on it. Now call me crazy but how can I "discover" a place that already has people in it?

HEY LOOK! I just discovered Walt Disney World!! Amazing! Who knew this place existed! And it just got better! I discovered Space Mountain, and a haunted mansion! Wow this is turning out to be a pretty good day!

And if you are of Native American descent, then Columbus Day is probably a day of mourning.

Anyhow none of that crap really matters anymore. What does matter is that a few decades ago some hoity-toity sailing yacht owners decided that Columbus Day would be a good day for a regatta. A sailboat race. Why not. They had nothing else better to do.

And so it began. A humble sailboat race few people here gave a shit about. Sailboat racing was something for the well to do, not everyone else.

However for those in the race, after it was over why not drop anchor somewhere and hang out?

And thus was born something people DO give a shit about - A PARTY!!

Over the decades, not a lot has changed. Few people gave a shit about the actual race, but the party kept gaining popularity.

Today, the party reigns king. The boring sailboat race still takes place, but nobody really cares. Many people are not even aware that there is a race going on.


This shot is from last year. It is not all the boats that were at the party. Some overnight, some are day trippers. Last year I stayed on my boat for two nights. I showed up at the anchorage late Friday night and did not return to the ramp till Sunday afternoon. I was tied up with some friends in another boat. They cheated however - bringing a boat with an enclosed toilet, fresh water shower, and cabin.

I had to jump overboard to pee, my shower was taken on the deck using 1 gallon water jugs I filled before I left, and there was no cabin to sleep in. I am hard core like that.

I do not yet know if I am going out this year. Ill have to see who else is going, and how long they plan to stay. Leaving late Friday seems to work out pretty well. The ramps are not as busy, there are places to park, and the cops are still setting up the DUI station but are not yet ready to process anyone. So it is a good time to leave.

If I go I will try to go Friday night again. Traffic on the water gets pretty heavy Saturday unless you leave really early. The party ramps up by the afternoon and really hits overdrive in the evening. A plan to return on Sunday, if other people can stay out that long, would be workable. If not then a return home Saturday night is possible.

If I go, Ill do the same as last year. Attempt to find someone to tie up to, and of course bring the kayak!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Parties are great but I can't stand crowds! You should go where WE went, but then again... I guess there will be crowds there too!

10:20  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, since I'm mostly of European descent but also part Cherokee, I guess I'll get in a fight with myself on Columbus Day. And then I'll make up with myself, and I'll go find some good Mexican food. That will please both parts of me.

15:09  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Saur - the action this weekend will be at Elliot Key. If you are not there, then you should just sell your boat. If you have one.

Lily - that sounds about right. Get into a fight with yourself due to mixed heritage! How uniquely American that would be. I am just in this for the party.

02:50  
Blogger Doozie said...

WEll that amount of boats is just downright creepy.

As for columbus day, he simply discovered something the greedy people wanted for themselves. Aint it nice? our country...founded on greed

12:33  
Blogger M@ said...

Happy Columbus Day!

21:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home