This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Bay Day

If you are here from Saur's blog - you are in the right place. I guess. Sunday is not a huge comment day over there, but I may pick up a few visitors.

Anyhow, for todays post I decided on a tour. Not that great of a tour, but that is hard to do here. I do not want to put up 50 photos because then the page would take forever to load - even with high speed access. Plus I had to drive the boat. Kind of hard to do more than one thing as a time.
By the way, as usual all photos are linked to the full size images. Just click em. Full size images are around 2 megs each. If you have high speed access no problem. Otherwise it may take a bit for the photos to download.

The day started at the Crandon Marina boat ramp. I could have used the FPL ramp at Old Cutler because I was with my dad. He works for the power company. But the Old Cutler Power Plant ramp was a bit of a haul from where we wanted to go, and it was not the best day to be out. So we opted to use the public ramp, paying the toll to get on Key Biscayne and the $10 fee to use the County ramp. Miami-Dade Parks and Recreation needs the money anyway. The boat ramps generate revenue for that department, which is then used (in part) to subsidize the other parks that do not generate revenue. It is a good system. Parks are important and expensive.

So how bad was it today? Lets find out! This is a shot I took while leaving the boat ramp.


Can you spot the rain? Look between the sailboat masts. You can see it better on the full size photo. By the way, all that rain was in the direction of the Old Cutler FPL ramp. So had we used that ramp the ride would have been wet.

As it was late in the morning when we launched, the first thing was to get over to Scotty's Landing in Coconut Grove. Here is the boat tied up at the Scotty's seawall. Notice the chop? well this is a somewhat protected area. In a marina.


And remember the rain from the first photo? Here is it dumping rain on Key Biscyne, right where I launched the boat from about 30 minutes before. But at least I knew which way the rain was moving! Knowing this helps you plot around the rain. I do not like to boat through rain unless I really have to. If I had a cuddy cabin I would rather just drop the hook (anchor) and chill out. In an open boat I would rather tie up somewhere and hide from the rain while having a drink. But sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.


Once I crossed under the big bridge going to Key Biscaye, I was out of the open area of the bay. So the water was not as choppy. And to make it even better the weather changed a bit. It was still windy but the sun poked out. The next stop was Jimbo's on Virginia Key. Here is the boat tied up at Jimbo's.


Now this is an interesting photo if you know the area. Jimbo's looks like a shanty town. It IS a shanty town. Nothing there is to code. Code enforcement is afraid to go there. Jimbo's is out of the way and off the map really. You can drive there, but there are no signs for the place. You just have to know where it is. HINT - it is right next to the Virginia Key Sewage Treatment Plant. If you enlarge this picture you can see Fisher Island in the background. Fisher Island is for people with money flowing out of their asshole. On Fisher Island if you only have a three or four million you are BARELY getting by. You probably can not afford to live on Fisher Island with a mere 5 million in the bank. People living there have Rolls Royce custom build them GOLF CARTS. The island is small driving your real Rolls Royce is just not done unless you are going to the ferry to leave the place. But anyway, not too far away from the sewage plant and Jimbo's shanty village is ultra rich Fisher Island. From each location you can see the other. Miami is like this in many places.

And what do I mean by shanty village? Here is a photo of the back of Jimbo's.


Now you may have been to a place that tries to look like it it is laid back tin roof shanty shack - but it is really a concrete and steel structure with plastic "decorations" to give an illusion. Jimbo's is NOT this place. Jimbo's is the real deal. The bar is two tubs of ice and beer cans. Want a beer? Go get one yourself! Nobody is going to bring you one. There is a guy by the door to the beer room that collects your money on your way out. It is really a unique last of its kind place. The UN needs to add the place to its World Heritage list. Jimbo's IS Miami as it used to be, back before the crazy development and urban sprawl.

This is the front area of Jimbo's. If you enlarge this photo the old man in the green shirt and hat is Jimbo himself. He is at his place on the weekends. He recently turned 80. He is a WWII and Korean War Veteran. I think he was a Navy man. If you go to Jimbo's on a weekend you can have a beer with the old man.


I hope you liked this post. If not, too bad. There are no refunds :)

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

Thanks for the tour! I feel a little bit seasick though.

07:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh heavenly day......

so is Jimbo holding a cupo beer, or does he pee in that cup? He looks different than I imagined. I pictured some big huge burly old guy with lots of facial hair

is that a beer can hanging from the tree at the top of that picture? you've shown pics of jimbos before eh

11:37  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Daisy - on plane the boat gave a good ride. Given the conditions it was an excellent ride really.

Badoozie - Jimbo is an old dude. He is very friendly however, everyone is welcome at his place. He does like to drink, but that is not a crime. It is his place. There are beer cans nailed up all over the place. I think some homeless people even live there. It is a neat place.

13:23  
Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Good you're enjoying the new boat.
We could use some of that rain here.

19:04  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

OH CRAP. I'm using my parent's computer up in the mountains and the pictures won't load, so I'll have to check all this out when I get home. Quite a nice tour, from the sound of it, at least! ;o)

21:35  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Fuzz - We need the rain too. As much as we can get. In fact of all the State, Miami-Dade County needs the rain the least - and yet we are short for on rain for this year and last year. FL is super dry.

Saur - the photos are OK. The boat you went out on is for sale now. If you can get back to Miami I have a newer nicer boat now.

22:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, that's a bad idea having both boats at once they are going to get in a catfight and scratch each others eyes out! you must seperate them because the old one will know you are cheating on it. why must I tell you this! surely you know the ways of the wild woman

01:31  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Ba Doozie - I could not be boatless! I had to keep the Wellcraft around until I got the newer boat.

In a cat fight I would put my money on the power cat.

If you ever come to Miami Ill take you on a boat ride. You can even bring Diaper Dog along.

01:55  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Thanks for the tour. Shame about the weather, but glad the boat went well. Looks like fun.
Take care, Meow

04:01  
Blogger Captain Conehead said...

Mr. Iguana,

What a wonderful blog you have here.

I am curious do they make a bimini for people with tall cone-shaped heads?

22:01  
Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

I love places like Jimbos, which have no pretentions. I would love to go there. Except like Daisy remarked, the seasickness would be bad in this one.

20:39  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Meow - I kind of wanted the chop in the bay. I wanted to see how the cat could take it. The day I water tested the boat the bay was choppy - but this day was worse. And the boat did great. Power cats have a VERY smooth and stable ride! They are an Aussie invention by the way.

Conehead - It depends on how tall you are. I can stand up under the Bimini top with enough clearance over my head to make me happy.

CM - the power cat is so smooth and stable that I do not think there would be any seasick problems. Jimbo's place is one of a kind.

01:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home