This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Shark Mystery And Stuff

It seems researchers at the Norfolk VA aquarium are baffled. They can not seem to figure out how Tidbit the black tip reef shark got pregnant. Really. They are totally clueless on this one.

I have my ideas how this happened. And you would think that a fish biologist would be able to connect the dots. But apparently those fish biologists do not get a lot of action. Even less than I get it seems. I mean, the concept of how something gets knocked up is a mystery to them? Wow. Good thing I did not study fish biology in college after all! I did almost go down that lonely action free road. But the whole biology thing with the memorization and then the math involved with chemistry and all - too much. And I was a lot like electricity back then, always looking for the path of least resistance.

Anyway, I could draw a diagram for the fish biologist guys (insert tab A into slot B) but I would not want to depress them. I think sharks reproduce in a similar manner. But I am no fish biologist.

In other news - I HATE CAULKING! It sucks. First off, it is impossible to work with caulk without getting it all over the place.

The boat bilge pumps are mounted on a fiberglass plate which is then glued in place using something that can be pulled up. Caulk is the perfect thing to use for this application.

So I hunt for the darn caulk gun and of course I can not find it. But they are cheap, so I just buy one for $3. I cut the tip off a tube of this silicone based "wet or dry" stuff that I figure will work fine. I load the tube in the gun.

Now there is the matter of how to get the shit out of the tube. I squeezed the handle as hard as I could - and nothing. There was a small plug of hardened stuff in the tip. No matter how hard I would squeeze, it was not happening.

So I face the gun up (the tube is now pointed at the sky) and place the handle on a concrete block. I stepped on the trigger. The trigger was pushed down, but nothing came out (it was oozing out the back of the tube at this point, without me realizing it). So I release the pressure and step down again.

And it was like Mount Vesuvius, only in Florida and there was more caulk and less lava. The shit explodes out of the tube. Caulk shot a good 4 feet in the air. The shit got everywhere.

But after that it was easy to pump the caulk out of the tube. So I caulk up one fiberglass plate, and stick it in the bilge. No problem.

This is going good, so I caulk up the second plate. But the starboard bilge has all the wires and steering controls and shit in it. So the bilge access is not as easy as the other side. I stick the plate in there and then drop it. It goes SPLAT. There is much cursing at this point. I pull the plate back out, goop it back up, and put it back in there. I get it in place - but then realize the electrical wires for the pumps are now under the plate. So I pull it up again, get the wires out from under the plate, use my hand to push all the caulk that is now everywhere into a pile, and plop the pump plate back down.

Now my hand is covered in waterproof caulk that will NOT wash off. So I throw the caulk gun on the ground in disgust, and walk off to find something to dissolve the caulk on me. Orange TKO did it. I only got a little caulk on the doorknob and bathroom fixtures in the process.

The next day I go out to check that everything was OK. It seems to be. I managed to not glue the float switches down or up or whatever. At least I think so. Who knows. I do not know if I give a crap anymore. The good part is that the mess is in the bilge where I never have to look at it. Out of sight, out of mind!

But I saw the caulk gun on the ground. So I figure I will remove the tube and put the thing away where I can find it again if I ever need it.

But the plunger thing will not back out! No matter how hard I pull. There is more cursing. I think I made up some new foul words. The neighbors must love me - but hey nobody ever accused a sailor of using proper words!

I placed the pull handle of the plunger thing on a wooden fence, pressed down the release tab, and put my weight into it. No dice.

Now it comes to my attention that maybe there is some gunk preventing the plunger from backing out. So I twist the plunger around to break loose anything that was holding it in place. Then I put the thing on the fence again.

This time I made progress. The plunger was backing out. Slowly. But I keep pulling and the plunger keeps backing out.

But remember how I had to step on the trigger to get the shit flowing in the first place? Well this extreme pressure caused some caulk to leak out the BACK of the tube, behind the plunger. So there is this clump of semi-hardened crap in the gun. And of course, as the plunger backs out it gets everywhere. Again.

I get the tube out, but now I have caulk on my hands again. Using the hose and my fingers I get the remaining shit out of the gun.

I throw the caulk gun down in disgust (again). The plug of caulk removed from the thing is in the yard, where it will harden and then I can run it over with the mower.

What a mess! Oh yea I also stepped in caulk and got it on my shoe. It is on the wooden fence. It is on the concrete block. I think some is in orbit. It is messy shit that I do not want to mess with for a long time.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

God, I love it..your as fucktarded about shit like that as I am.

AIn't it fun? :P

04:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you would have turned your video cam on and filmed it and put it on YouTube. I'd like to see that!

06:30  
Blogger Ed said...

After I have wiped the tears of mirth out of my eyes, I hesitate to let you in on a little secret. Tubes of caulking come with a little membrane where the plastic tip meets the tube. That is why where is a little wire think on the underneath side of the caulking gun that folds out. Once you cut the tip off, you poke the membrane using the little wire poker thing and prevent volcanic eruptions and back leakage. But then it wouldn't have been nearly quite as funny to blog about.

07:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but ed abbey...the cheap ones like he bought don't have that thing, I know from experience. I usually stick a long nail in there or a wire hangar. Then if you have leftover in the tube, you need to put something in the end so it does not dry out. Lordy how I love caulk. Schools of caulk. hordes of it.

Did you clean the door handle?

10:26  
Blogger Jenn said...

First, I can almost see you in a cloud of blue yanking on that darn thing.

Second, what ba doozie said.

Also, Mr. Coffee weatherproofs houses in the winter, and does loads of caulking. If you ever need it to stay smooth and not stick to you, spray Windex on the caulk and then smooth it down, it works like a charm. (I know, Windex...of all things)

Thank you for the song, I got it downloaded. I appreciate your email. Just last year I used iTunes for the first time...I'm always late to the party.

11:49  
Blogger Daisy said...

My Mommie went to Home Depot for some caulk a while ago and ended up wandering around for a LONG time looking for it because she was too embarrassed to say to one of the men in orange "I am looking for some caulk"....

12:46  
Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

I'm glad to hear about that Windex trick. Is it some sort of Greek thing ?
That stuff is good for a lot of things, but I always make a mess too.

18:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

windex is good for injuries and wounds? It is greek or something

where are you? do you have to work late? stop it!

23:19  
Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Caulk that one up to experience ... hahahahahaha ... sorry, that was soooo bad.
Hope you are all un-caulked now.
Take care, Meow

00:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, not Greek but I did see the Windex dad on My Big Fat Greek Wedding. That was funny.

I don't know where Mr. Coffee got it..trade secret, I guess.

So, how did you get it off fixtures?

~ES

02:19  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Dusty - men never read directions for anything. I was in a hurry.

Lammy - the video camera would have been covered in caulk.

Ed - The gun was cheap and had no poker thing. I was able to get the shit out anyway. All is good.

Ba Doozie - I remember using a nail in the tubes of shit too. But in this case I expected to use the whole tube so there was no need to try to save any of it. I did not feel like looking for something to poke the clog, so I just forced it out.

Emma - it will probably be months or years before I have to caulk anything again. But I will somehow remember the Windex trick.

Daisy - I hate the Home Depot. The place sucks. It is impossible to get decent help there. You just have to know where things are or you will never find anything.

Fuzz - I think it is impossible to caulk anything without making a horrible mess.

QZ - Windex kills insects.

Meow - that is the best horrible pun in the history of this blog. You deserve some kind of award.

Emma - I never did get it all 100% off everything. If I ignore it long enough it goes away, right?

02:46  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Kristen - it seems everyone (even me) knows more about this subject than some fish biologists at a public aquarium.

22:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The easy way to solve the problem is to go to dollar tree and buy a new gun for $1.00. Buy two or three so you can play with the different caulks at the same time. Next time your caulk won't squirt instead of jumping up and down on it try a different pain and stick a nail or ice pick in the tip that will get things going!

14:20  
Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Y'all should have seen me trying to put a tube of greeze in the greeze gun the other day. Well, maybe not.

17:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home