This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Artsty Fartsy

There is some sort of art event going on here. I may go check it out. It has to do with Dadaism - better known as strange art films. It was a whole movement back in the early part of the 20th century. That is about all I know of it.

The feature of the event is a piece called "Ballet Mecanique". Here is the soundtrack to the film.

What you see are 16 player pianos, 4 xylophones, a siren, a gong, some alarm bells, and a bunch of industrial fans - all played by robots. The original score called for player pianos - but as there were no plater xylophones some humans were needed. The problem was that there was no way to coordinate all the pianos properly.

So the person who wrote this piece never heard it performed properly. And neither will we, as the original score called for airplane propellers. But at least there are computers now that can synchronize all the other things.

In another twist, the soundtrack is twice as long as the film. It seems that the film maker never told the composer how long to make the music last. And I think that the film was made before "talkies" so I have no idea how the whole thing was supposed to work in the first place.

But somehow I think this was the point of Dadaism.

And how about the film? Well I found this on You Tube. I do not know if this is the whole film or not. It is silent.



So it is in town till December 11. This means I have to go see it when I can - for the exhibition will not be here forever. This is a good thing, because if it was not going to be a limited time thing I would just say "hey that is cool - but Ill go some other time". I would keep saying this forever and probably never go.

Like the Winterfest Boat Parade. I have lived in South Florida all my life and have never gone to the stupid boat parade. This could be due to my total lack of interest in it. Also I know it is here every year - so I always think "Ill just go next year" and of course I never go. I also do not want to put up with the traffic and idiots and all, just to see a bunch of boats with Christmas lights on them. Yawn. Don't care.

But this year will be different. I might be a control boat for the event. If this is the case I can watch the event from the water while doing something "official" for the event. Whatever this is.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

That sounds pretty cool. I would go see it. I haven't been to an art show in about 10 years. It was an exhibit of Tolouse Lautrec's work. I went with my mother and my son and felt like I was about 25 years younger than my chronological age. My son pointed out something he thought was funny and I laughed. My mother got angry at me. Apparenly there shall be no enjoying yourself at an art show!

06:40  
Blogger M@ said...

That video makes me want to get a black-and-white video camera and get all artsy-fartsy. I've got to be careful though because these people won't leave me alone anyway. I don't care about your new clothing line or your online business or bringing journalism to the "people." Jeez, I do appreciate when strangers offer to get me high, however.

09:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't watch all of those, I got places to go and stuff to do. Important stuff like casting a shadow upon my bed

09:53  
Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Some people must have had too much time on their hands, including the ones who set it up. But then, they were probably paid, and that always makes a difference. But I suppose "Art" is Art.

15:49  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

CM - Art shows can be like that. but if something is funny then it is funny. Can't do anything about that.

M@ - a friend with weed is a friend indeed.

Doozie - if you were closer to Miami I would invite you to the art thing. You could bring the zapper and zap people who annoyed you by being all snooty and stuff.

Fuzz - people will do a lot for the love of art. I think that some musical computer geeks from the university set it all up. In this case they would not have been paid. Dada was apparently "anti-art" and people into the movement went out of their way to break all the "rules". But should art have any rules? I say no. Art is an expression of the human condition. Right? So there are no rules. Therefore Dada was "anti-art" but it became art just by the fact that it was expressing anti-artism. I suppose. It is all very confusing.

16:39  
Blogger Lila said...

Enjoy your artsy fartsy gig.

22:59  
Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Yeah, confusing. I do like weird stuff, and all the musical gizmos look like fun to watch. I gave up on the flic though.

18:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home