This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Mysteries

OK so some alert readers, and one phone spy, reported to me that the blog looks messed up. Something about stuff on the left sidebar invading the space reserved for my postings.

I have no idea what this means. You see, it looks fine on my laptop computer. And also looks fine on the emergency backup desktop computer. Maybe it is my video settings? The "wide screen" display on the laptop? Who knows. By the way, I tried loading the page with both Firefox and Internet Explorer. I like Firefox better.

Now this means I need more spy reports. I think I removed the offending thing that is causing the overlap. But this is just a guess. So what I need is MORE SPY REPORTS! This means you. Does everything look right? Yes? No? Can't tell? With enough spy reports, I can solve this mystery.

And now for the second part of the mystery. The mystery of Skipper The Cat. Skipper, as you may remember, is the newest cat. He is a gray kitten. I found Skipper across the street from the house, on the sidewalk. He was just barely weaned, and very little. He weighed less than 2 pounds. Kittens that little just do not wonder off. I do not think he was able to climb over the fences, and where he was the nearest house door was pretty far. So I suspect he was dumped.

But why would someone dump him? He seemed to be taken care of. He was free of fleas and ear mites, had no worms, was not at all afraid of people. He was just on the sidewalk meowing. When I walked up to him he started purring and rubbing against my leg. I was able to pick him up and he did not freak out. Clearly, this was the kitten of a well taken care of house cat. And he was still little and cute and a kitten and stuff. Usually if someone dumps a kitten that little they dump the mama cat and all the brothers and sisters too. But in this case it was only Skipper.

I figured the mystery would just go unsolved. But then I saw a cat on the cover of some cat magazine. It looked almost exactly like Skipper.

This is a Korat. I had never heard of this breed before. But it looks like Skipper. Same fur color, same eye color, same gray nose, and everything. I had found a Korat kitten photo that showed a litter that all had the same color eyes as fur. Skipper had the same color eyes when I found him, but they have since turned green.

He even has the silver sheen that is a characteristic of the breed. Like you can see in this photo. The fur is almost shiny in natural light. The roots are a deep gray color, but they are tipped with a silver tinge. This is that gives the cat its color.

By the way, the cat experts cay this breed is "blue" as opposed to "gray". But I think they are on crack. I have never seen a "blue" cat. I think the "cat experts" are all smoking too much cat nip.

And so now, I think I have all the evidence I need to solve the mystery of Skipper. Here is what happened.

Some asshole out there thinks they are a Korat breeder. They got a few pedigree cats and figured they could make some easy money selling cats, even if the shelters are full of free cats that are really just as good as any other cat. Backyard breeders.

But Skipper posed a problem for them. See, Skipper has WHITE PATCHES! This means that their "pedigree" cats are of poor quality. Korats are supposed to be solid "blue". Some slight white coloring on the very tips of the paws are OK - but only a little bit.

Skipper has too much white on his paws, a white splotch on his chest, and another white splotch on his belly. No good to be a pedigree Korat. So the breeder simply dumped him somewhere so nobody would see him and question the "quality" of the litter. All his litter mates were probably all "blue".

This would explain why he was in good health, not afraid of humans, and free of parasites. His white coloring may not have been there when he was first born. Usually when a newborn "pedigree" animal does not look right it is killed right off the bat. No evidence! Or maybe the people knew he was up to specs but just could not kill him right away. So they let him get weaned then dumped him before any buyers could see him and his ugly white splotches.

That would explain how such a little guy ended up where he did. With no mama cat looking for him. And no "lost kitten" signs. And why he was not wild.

Skipper does not want his picture taken, because he is upset about his white splotches and keeps attacking the camera. Or I might have made that up, and I am just too lazy to get up and get the camera. One or the other.

THIS JUST IN! I got motivated to get the camera. I had to get up to take a leak and get a beer anyway. So I might as well get the camera too. And find Skipper. This is never hard to do. So here is my almost perfect Korat, discarded like so much garbage because he is not perfect due to his white blotches - clearly visible in these photos




Oh by the way, I have room for only 2 more songs in the Iguana Music list. I have to replace one of the Def Leppard songs because it is a COVER and not the real band.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger cathouse teri said...

The site looks fine to me now! Did you get other complaints?

Skipper is beautiful and I'm so glad you found him! You two are just made for each other!

01:31  
Blogger Jenn said...

It looks good.

Oh, go to Browsershots.org

They let you see how everything looks in every browser and resolution. Rent-a-spy!

I'm on 1024×768 in Mozilla and it looks fine to me. Only the orange NeoCounter box hangs over a little bit, but it doesn't block anything.

That GREY cat looks very silky. I want to know what conditioner you are using. I need my hair to look like that all the time.

01:39  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Yes. I got several reports. But I think it is fixed now. Skipper is very nice. Korats are known to bond with their owner (usually one person). I can not go anywhere in the house without Skipper following. In Thailand, where this breed comes from, they are considered a sign of good fortune.

01:40  
Blogger Jenn said...

Oh, and browsershots is free, so maybe I should have said, Borrow a Spy!

01:40  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Great link. I will make good use of it!

Skipper hates water and has never had a bath. So you are SOL on the conditioner thing.

01:43  
Blogger Jenn said...

I just submitted mine, too. You can click on the queue and see where you are at in line.

By the way, how many people have windchimes down your way...

I think I'm going to stab my neighbor for her clinking windchimes.

01:46  
Blogger Cie Cheesemeister said...

My little calico cat Trinity was dumped because her owners thought she was pregnant. It was a false pregnancy--I'd never heard of that but apparently it's not entirely uncommon for cats. She was obviously not feral. But she was lonely. I put food out for her but she wanted friendship more than food. Some people--if you don't want the animal, there are now no-kill shelters across the country. But that would involve them getting off their lazy ass.

02:24  
Blogger cathouse teri said...

Hiya, well last night, I didn't seem to notice that the visitor counter box is hanging over. It is up by the intro stuff, so it's not a problem. Before, it was down with the posting, so it blocked a couple of a words.

I use Internet Explorer because I'm a dinosaur when it comes to the computer world.

I will send you an email about what business I'm in and you will be shocked to find out they let me in. In fact, they PAY me!

11:40  
Blogger Daisy said...

I use Firefox, my resolution is 1680x1050, and I never noticed any problem.

The little Skipper is VERY cute. Look at those eyes! Thanks for sharing his picture.

14:08  
Blogger Jane said...

Poor wee Skipper, good thing he ended up with you, those breeders are scum.

14:49  
Blogger TLP said...

One the spy thingie: On my PC the NeoCounter is right up against the main middle section, but that's no problem. However sometime recently, the right sidebar section dropped BELOW the main section (the post section).

I found this out only because I was looking for the music.

On Skipper: Adorable. Just adorable.

Glad to see/hear that the cone of death is going to miss you.

16:09  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Emma - I had some windchimes. They were part of my high tech boat security system. In theory, anyone climbing aboard would trip the alarm, and since I am awake at night I would hear it. Problem is the wind made them work too much. So I removed them. The last batch of hurricanes took out all the neighbors chimes. They are evil and should be banned.

CM - people dump animals for many reasons. Out of all my cats, I suspect that 3 were dumped. Fred, Cleo, and Skipper. Gigi was wild and had to be tamed, and Sake came from a box in front of a supermarket that said "free kittens" on it. I have heard of people who dumped cats because they got a new couch, and the cat did not match the new furniture.

Teri - I still have not got any email. Maybe I should check? I am working on fixing the blog so that it displays correctly on as many computers as possible.

Daisy - I suspect the problem is video settings. I think my blog is best viewed in 1024x786 or higher mode. 800x600 makes the template too "wide" for the screen. The cat close up photo is not Skipper. That is just some random Korat stolen from Google images. Skipper is in the last 2 photos. He has the white spots.

Jane - it is just my theory. But it fits. If he did come from a litter of "pure breed" Korats, then they would have had to get rid of him secretly and quietly before attempting to sell any kittens. If they did not know anyone who would quietly take the cat and never mention it to anyone - then that could explain how he ended up on the streets.

TLP - I have more tinkering to do. I may have to uncenter the stuff on the left sidebar.

17:54  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Kristen - Dean is not going to give South Florida any problems. But someone is going to get clobbered.

01:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home