This page best viewed with

A Book By CM. Click To Get A Copy

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets
Created by OnePlusYou

No Rights Reserved. Take Anything You Want, But If You Steal Any Text Link To Here.

Send Your Hate Mail To

........

Greed:High
 
Gluttony:High
 
Wrath:Low
 
Sloth:Very High
 
Envy:Low
 
Lust:High
 
Pride:High
 

Take the Seven Deadly Sins Quiz

King Gambrinus - Patron Saint of beer.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Bug Hunting


I am going to go hunting for bugs.

I just do not know when. Sometime soon. I just have to figure out how it will be done. The problem is currently the bug hunting mobile.

The bug you see pictured is also known as a "Florida lobster". They are in season right now. So in theory I can go catch some.

At issue is the boat. Do I have too much freeboard? See I like to net bugs on the grass flats. You get some stinky nasty canned cat food, punch holes in the cans, then chuck em. Mark the locations on the GPS. Then after you chuck 5 or 6 cans in different places, you chill out for a few beers. And then you go check out your drop locations.

The cans rust away pretty quick. But even still I have questions as to the legality of this method. But a lot of people say it works. I do not doubt it.

Now once I find a bug crawling on the grass, I take a "bully net" and capture the thing. Then measure it. If it of legal size you keep it. If it is short or has eggs you throw it back. Pretty simple.

The bully net has a 6 foot handle. If the water is three feet deep and I am standing a foot above the waterline, then simple math says that the net will be 4 feet too short to reach the bottom. Even if I lean over, the boat has close to three feet of freeboard. So a 6 foot handle may be too short for the boat. I may have to look for water a mere 2 feet deep. Any shallower and I may dig up grass in the prop wash. That is a big no no.

Bug hunting is complicated.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Looks like a Crawdad.

06:19  
Blogger Jandi for The Fuzz said...

Can't you fix up a longer handle?

06:20  
Blogger TLP said...

I understood there would be no more bugs here. Ugh.

12:01  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

Fuzz - not really. Well I suppose I might be able to rig a longer handle but the fact remains that for bug hunting on the grass flats, I have the wrong boat. The right boat would be a "flats boat" or even a wide beam flat bottom jon boat.

My boat is better suited for use as a bay boat on choppy days or for going offshore on nice days.

TLP - I said no more land crab posts! Florida lobster are never seen on land. Alive.

02:00  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was reading this article in a Discover (I think) magazine about eating bugs. The only ones I thought I could handle eating would be scorpions, because after all, I do eat shrimp, lobsters and crabs. I think I would starve before I ate beetles or grasshoppers or such--ugh!!!

23:11  
Blogger The Lazy Iguana said...

I would think that land bugs would be all squishy and gross.

16:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home